Spearmint Energy is seeking a director level candidate to launch and lead the management of its operating battery energy storage projects. This new role will be responsible for executing the company's project commercial operations strategy for its existing 150 MW stand-alone battery energy storage project as well as a quickly growing portfolio of stand-alone battery and renewable + storage projects.
This role will report to the Chief Development Officer as part of Spearmint’s development business unit and will will grow to have leadership and supervisory responsibility for a team of direct and indirect reports.
- Strategic Leadership & Development:
- Execute the company's project commercial operations strategy for its growing portfolio of stand-alone battery energy storage and renewable + storage projects.
- Identify and implement strategies to optimize storage project performance, focusing on project uptime, cost-saving opportunities, and compliance.
- Develop conceptual plans for bringing key asset management, operations and maintenance, and remote operations in-house.
- Project Execution
- Provide support for late-stage development projects to reduce operational risk and optimize total project costs through the lens of the long-term owner.
- Plan and execute transition into primary project manager role for each project at mechanical completion.
- Oversee project commissioning, placement in-service, and transition to commercial operations in coordination with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Operational Management & Compliance:
- Implement the strategic plan utilizing external asset management and operations & maintenance resources initially, while considering internalizing these functions as the firm's portfolio expands.
- Design emergency response procedures for each facility, forge relationships with local first responders, and head the company's internal health, safety, and environmental initiatives.
- Oversee the firm’s NERC compliance program using external compliance resources.
- Ensure adherence to company standards in health, safety, security, equity, ethics, and governance.
- Contractual & Financial Oversight:
- Negotiate essential project contracts, including asset management agreements, long-term service agreements, and operations & maintenance contracts. Provide expertise during negotiations of equipment supply, construction, and development contracts.
- Support debt and equity financing transactions and ensure post-closing reporting/compliance.
- Team Leadership & Collaboration:
- Lead, mentor, and develop a team dedicated to implementing the commercial operations strategy as the company's portfolio grows.
- Work in tandem with other departments, fostering a cooperative and productive environment.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, law, policy, economics, business administration, or related field. An advanced degree and/or registration as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
- 8+ years of of experience in the operations and/or management of facilities within wholesale electricity markets with increasing responsibilities.
- Familiarity with ERCOT required; additional RTO/ISO markets and regulated electricity sectors preferred.
- Exceptional communication, research, and analytical capacities.
- Proven ability to foster consensus and approach problems innovatively.
- Self-driven with the capacity to collaborate in a fast-paced, diverse setting.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 365 and cloud-based collaboration tools, such as Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive.
- Must have work authorization to work in the United States
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Primarily sedentary office duties with up to 20% travel to project sites, industry events, and company offices
- Traditional business hours, with occasional work outside of hours to meet company objectives; This position is responsible for facilities that operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying